Cycling injury: How should we avoid injury when you ride a bike.
We all know that accidents in sports will inevitably lead to injuries, from minor injuries to major injuries, from minor injuries to severe injuries. Only by avoiding or reducing cycling injury can you benefit from the exercise.
So, how should we avoid injury in sports, or minimize the degree of injury?
The most common and common phenomenon in cycling sports injuries is cramps. If you do not warm up before marathon, swimming, sprinting, cycling, basketball, mountain climbing, etc., cramps are easy to cause.
What is cramping?
The scientific name for cramps is muscle spasm, which refers to the involuntary and strong contraction of muscles in a certain part of the body and the inability to relax quickly.
2. Main symptoms and characteristics:
It often occurs during exercise or sleeping, the muscles of the spasm are stiff and even painful, the joints involved are temporarily limited in flexion and extension, and after the spasm is relieved, there is still a sense of soreness and discomfort in the area.
The most prone to spasm in the human body is the calf gastrocnemius muscle, followed by the plantar flexor and policies muscles. In addition, cramps may occur in the feet, fingers, arms, abdomen, and even small muscles between the ribs.
When cramps occur, the whole muscle of the body that is spasm becomes hard, and sometimes you will see muscle twitching under the skin. The muscle cramps may disappear after a few seconds, or they may last for more than 15 minutes.
Cramps are the body’s warning that the current amount of exercise has exceeded our ability. If we do not deal with it in time or interrupt the original exercise, it may happen repeatedly in a short period of time.
At present, there is no specific cause for muscle spasm, most likely it is the interaction between various factors.
Causes of muscle cramps
1. Lack of sufficient stretching exercises before exercise, incorrect exercise posture.
2. Excessive exercise leads to excessive sweating, loss of a large amount of body fluids, and failure to replenish salt in time, and disorder of electrolyte balance in the body, such as loss of Na+, transfer of Ca2+, etc.
3. The influence of ambient temperature: the external temperature is too high and it is easy to sweat. If there is no real-time supplement of water, it is easy to cause dehydration and cause cramps, and suddenly expose the muscles to an environment that is too high or too low.
It will also cause muscle fiber contraction and cause cramps. When exercising in a cold environment, there is no sufficient preparation activity, and the muscles are stimulated by the cold and cause cramps.
4. Muscles are fatigued due to excessive exercise, leading to the accumulation of local muscle metabolites, such as the impact of lactic acid accumulation.
5. Calcium deficiency: Calcium ions play an important role in the process of muscle contraction. When the concentration of calcium ions in the blood is too low, the muscles are prone to excitement and cramps.
6. Continuous rapid muscle contraction and relaxation is too short: During vigorous exercise, the whole body is in a state of tension, muscle contraction is too fast, and the relaxation time is too short, the accumulation of local metabolites lactic acid increases, muscle contraction and relaxation are difficult to coordinate, which causes spasms.
7. Excessive emotional tension, the muscles cannot relax and are in a stiff state, and the coordination of the muscles is reduced. In this way, it is prone to involve reflexes and cause muscle spasms.
8. Poor muscle blood circulation: If the muscle blood circulation is blocked, it will cause local hypoxia and accumulation of metabolic waste, such as the accumulation of carbon dioxide and lactic acid, which can cause muscle pain, stiffness or cramps.
Ordinary exercise that lasts too long, the muscles have been maintained in a contracted state, or the shoes and socks are too tight, the use of elastic tensioning protective gear, and the tightness of the sports tape are all causes of cramps.
9. Imbalanced diet and side effects of drugs.
How to deal with cramps
Cycling quickly can easily cause cramps. When you feel that there are signs, you should slow down and get out of the car as soon as possible.
◆Fingers: First make a fist with a cramped hand, then stretch it out and open it. Repeat this action until it recovers.
◆Palm: The two palms are joined together, and the palm without cramps is bent backwards, and then let go, repeat the movement until recovery.
◆Arms: First make a fist with the cramped hand, then bend the forearm at the shoulder, then extend the arm and extend the palm, repeat the action until recovery.
◆Toes: Hold the cramped toes with your hands, pull back, and repeat the movement until it recovers.
◆ Calf: Hold the toe on one side of the cramp with your hand, pull it back firmly, and press the knee down with the other hand to straighten the leg, repeat the movement until it recovers.
◆Thighs: Bend the thighs and knees to the front of the abdomen, embrace with both hands, then let go and straighten the legs, repeat the action until recovery.
Of course, when cramps occur during cycling, in addition to the first emergency treatment, after returning home, you must have a hot compress and applicator massage for at least a few days, otherwise the cramps will easily occur again.
Preventive measures for muscle cramps
1. Make preparations carefully before exercise.
2. Sufficient water and electrolytes must be added before, during and after long-term exercise.
3. Pay attention to sudden changes in ambient temperature, especially to keep warm.
4. When physically fatigued, exercise should be done after sufficient rest.
5. Strengthen physical exercise, improve physical health and physical fitness.
6. Ingest enough minerals (such as calcium and magnesium) and electrolytes (such as sodium and potassium) in your daily diet.
7. Do not do long or intense exercise in poorly ventilated or confined spaces.
8. Wear comfortable clothes for cycling.
9. Exercise in the past in a relaxed and happy mood.
10. Before exercise, massage the muscles that are prone to cramps.
If you are interested in our electric bikes, you can leave a message. If you have any query please feel free to contact us. We are looking forward to your arrival.